In the name of Allah the Most Beneficent the Most Merciful,
قُلْ تَعَالَوْاْ أَتْلُ مَا حَرَّمَ رَبُّكُمْ عَلَيْكُمْ أَلاَّ تُشْرِكُواْ بِهِ شَيْئًا وَبِالْوَالِدَيْنِ إِحْسَانًا وَلاَ تَقْتُلُواْ أَوْلاَدَكُم مِّنْ إمْلاَقٍ نَّحْنُ نَرْزُقُكُمْ وَإِيَّاهُمْ وَلاَ تَقْرَبُواْ الْفَوَاحِشَ مَا ظَهَرَ مِنْهَا وَمَا بَطَنَ وَلاَ تَقْتُلُواْ النَّفْسَ الَّتِي حَرَّمَ اللّهُ إِلاَّ بِالْحَقِّ ذَلِكُمْ وَصَّاكُمْ بِهِ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَعْقِلُونَ
Say, “Come, I will recite what your Lord has made forbidden to you. [He commands] that you not associate anything with Him, and to parents, good treatment, and do not kill your children out of poverty; We will provide for you and them. And do not approach immoralities – what is apparent of them and what is concealed. And do not kill the soul which Allah has forbidden [to be killed] except by [legal] right. This has He instructed you that you may use reason.”
Dear reader lets us try to understand this further.What has Allah made forbidden for us.
Shirk (Polytheism) is forbidden
One is guilty of shirk if:
- One sets up another god besides Allah
- One attributes to another any of those attributes that belong naturally and exclusively to Allah.
- One sets up a partner with Allah in His Powers
- One sets up a partner with Allah in His Rights
Therefore according to (1) all those creeds which set up partners with Allah in the essence of His Godhead shall be shirk.Examples of this include :
- The christian creed of the trinity
- The polytheistic Arabs setting up gods besides Allah ie their idols
According to (2) all those who believe that someone other than Allah also possesses one or some or all of those attributes which belong exclusively to Allah shall be guilty of polytheism.The following shall serve as an example of this point.
- Attributing infallibility to humans that is only true and befitting to Allah alone .Only God is above making mistakes.
- Attributing knowledge of the unseen to other than Allah
According to (3) one shall be guilty of shirk if one believes that someone else besides Allah is able to wield any one of those powers that exclusively belong to Him.
- Ability to respond to dua
- Ability to harm or benefit in a supernatural way
- Right to legislate the lawful and the unlawful and prescribe laws for humans
According to (4) one shall be guilty of shirk if one surrenders to another any of those rights to which Allah alone is entitled.These include but are not limited to;
- Right to be worshiped;
Dear reader the following hadith suffices as an explanation.
Mu’adh bin Jabal reported: The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “O Mu’adh, do you know what is the right of Allah upon His servants?” I said, “Allah and His Messenger know best.” The Prophet said, “To worship Him alone and to associate none in worship with Him. And do you know what is their right upon Him?” I said, “Allah and His Messenger know best.” The Prophet said, “Not to punish them if they do so.”
Source: Sahih Bukhari 6938, Sahih Muslim 30
- Devotion,glorification and the right to be loved more than anyone or anything else belong to Allah and thus Allah says:
وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يَتَّخِذُ مِن دُونِ اللّهِ أَندَاداً يُحِبُّونَهُمْ كَحُبِّ اللّهِ وَالَّذِينَ آمَنُواْ أَشَدُّ حُبًّا لِّلّهِ وَلَوْ يَرَى الَّذِينَ ظَلَمُواْ إِذْ يَرَوْنَ الْعَذَابَ أَنَّ الْقُوَّةَ لِلّهِ جَمِيعاً وَأَنَّ اللّهَ شَدِيدُ الْعَذَابِ
And [yet], among the people are those who take other than Allah as equals [to Him]. They love them as they [should] love Allah. But those who believe are stronger in love for Allah. And if only they who have wronged would consider [that] when they see the punishment, [they will be certain] that all power belongs to Allah and that Allah is severe in punishment.” Quran 2:165
- Absolute obedience is for Allah alone.Anyone else who is obeyed is only obeyed due to Allahs’ command eg obedience to His Messenger Muhammad (upon whom be peace),obedience to the husband,obedience to the parents,obedience to the ruler et al. .Furthermore as the prophet upon whom be peace said there is no obedience to the created which entails disobedience to the Creator i.e Allah.
Islam as I mentioned in a previous post is absolutely unapologetic in its call to absolute pure unadulterated Monotheism.
Dear reader, does it make sense to worship one who can neither benefit nor harm you?Does it make sense to deny Allah the only deity worthy of worship His right to be worshiped alone?Does it make sense to cause our self untold misery setting up false gods besides the One True God?Does it make sense to flee from Allahs’ Mercy to His wrath for He will definitely punish those who worship other than He?Does it make sense to run away from happiness for true happiness lies in worshiping Allah?Does any of these make sense?
Will we then not reason?
Asalaam aleykum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh(may the peace,and mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you)