In the name of Allah the Most Beneficent the Most Merciful,
لَيْسَ عَلَى الْأَعْمَى حَرَجٌ وَلَا عَلَى الْأَعْرَجِ حَرَجٌ وَلَا عَلَى الْمَرِيضِ حَرَجٌ وَلَا عَلَى أَنفُسِكُمْ أَن تَأْكُلُوا مِن بُيُوتِكُمْ أَوْ بُيُوتِ آبَائِكُمْ أَوْ بُيُوتِ أُمَّهَاتِكُمْ أَوْ بُيُوتِ إِخْوَانِكُمْ أَوْ بُيُوتِ أَخَوَاتِكُمْ أَوْ بُيُوتِ أَعْمَامِكُمْ أَوْ بُيُوتِ عَمَّاتِكُمْ أَوْ بُيُوتِ أَخْوَالِكُمْ أَوْ بُيُوتِ خَالَاتِكُمْ أَوْ مَا مَلَكْتُم مَّفَاتِحَهُ أَوْ صَدِيقِكُمْ لَيْسَ عَلَيْكُمْ جُنَاحٌ أَن تَأْكُلُوا جَمِيعًا أَوْ أَشْتَاتًا فَإِذَا دَخَلْتُم بُيُوتًا فَسَلِّمُوا عَلَى أَنفُسِكُمْ تَحِيَّةً مِّنْ عِندِ اللَّهِ مُبَارَكَةً طَيِّبَةً كَذَلِكَ يُبَيِّنُ اللَّهُ لَكُمُ الْآيَاتِ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَعْقِلُون
“There is not upon the blind [any] constraint nor upon the lame constraint nor upon the ill constraint nor upon yourselves when you eat from your [own] houses or the houses of your fathers or the houses of your mothers or the houses of your brothers or the houses of your sisters or the houses of your father’s brothers or the houses of your father’s sisters or the houses of your mother’s brothers or the houses of your mother’s sisters or [from houses] whose keys you possess or [from the house] of your friend. There is no blame upon you whether you eat together or separately. But when you enter houses, give greetings of peace upon each other – a greeting from Allah, blessed and good. Thus does Allah make clear to you the verses [of ordinance] that you may reason”
Dear reader some lessons derived from this verse include:
- Eating with the blind,lame and sick is allowed.This is because the companions of the Prophet Muhammad upon whom be peace used to fear lest they were unfair to the blind,lame & sick in some way.Thus this ayah gave them permission to eat with them
- A man would enter the house of his father,brother or son and the lady of the house would bring him food but he would refrain from eating due to the absence of the master of the house.This ayah gave permission for such a person thus its permissible to eat in such a circumstance.
- When the verse “Do not devour one anothers’ wealth wrongfully”(2:188) was revealed the companions felt uneasy about joining others unless specifically invited by the owner.This ayah(24:61) made it perfectly permissible for relatives to eat in the homes of the relatives mentioned in the verse & to bring with them such needy people as the verse describes as long as the home owner is not averse to it and it does not cause harm.
- Sons’ houses are included in this verse even though not explicitly mentioned.
- There is no sin upon servants and slaves from eating from the houses whose keys they possess as long as it neither upsets nor causes harm to the owner and is taken within reason.
- Having mentioned homes from which one can eat without prior permission the verse continues to explain the manner of eating. Pre-Islamic Arabs disliked eating alone thus Allah Exalted Most High lifted this restriction as it caused unnecessary complications.Hence people may eat alone or eat together as a group.
- The verse adds an instruction on the etiquette of entering a house.Allah Exalted Most High tells us to greet the people with salam i.e the greeting of Islam;asalaam aleykum.Spreading the salam was encouraged by the Prophet Muhammad upon whom be peace.
Allah our Kind Lord makes the verse clear to us in order that we may reason.
and Allah knows best.
Praise is due to Allah the Most Wise who sent down the perfect law for mankind to achieve ultimate success.
Asalaam aleykum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh. (May the peace and Mercy and Blessings of Allah be upon you.)